Staying Active During the Winter Months can Seem Impossible
It may be considered “the most wonderful time of the year”, however, if we’re being honest, the winter months can seem a bit depressing for a lot of us. With the time change, darkness, and freezing temperatures, it can certainly be difficult to stay active during this time of the year.
It is Important That We All Try to Stay Active and Healthy During this Time of the Year!
- Become a Gym Member – Join in on one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions and join a gym. Joining a gym can give you the opportunity to still keep up with your exercise routine while it is freezing and snowing outside. You might even decide to join in on gym’s exercise classes and learn to love something new.
- Workout at home – Many people would rather not work out in public, and that’s OK! There are plenty of free online workouts that you can research and complete right from the comfort of your home. If you don’t have access to the internet, try a local store and check out their magazines.
- Use the stairs – Using the stairs at home, work, or anywhere you are can give you the opportunity to get your heart rate up. Think about the time you may spend on elevators or escalators. If you STOP using these all together and use the stairs no matter where you are at, the time on the stairs will add up.
- Volunteer – By doing a simple internet search, talking with friends, or stopping by your local church or library, you can find a ton of volunteer opportunities in your area. By participating in volunteer opportunities, you can keep yourself busy
- Play with your kids – If you have children or any kids in your family, take the time to run around the house and play with them. Hide n’ seek, tag, or any “make-believe” games will give you the change to get up and get your body moving. Plus, it’s sure to put a smile on the kid’s faces.
- Stretching – Simple body stretches can help to keep the body warmed up and the muscles moving around. This is something that can be done right from the comfort of your home as well. You may even choose to do some stretches a few times a day.
- Build a snowman – Yes, this may sound “silly”. But GO OUTSIDE and build a snowman if you live in an area where it snows. There are many people who never see know and would do anything to be able to go outside and play in the snow. Remember to bundle up and HAVE FUN!